Mac-O-Lantern is dedicated to the loving memory of Stimpson J. Cat, the greatest cat on earth and the best friend I ever had. Stimpy, you are dearly missed.
WARNING: This application WILL HOG YOUR CPU. It's animated, for God's sake.
What is Mac-O-Lantern?
Mac-O-Lantern (formerly Jack-O-Mac) is an animated (or not animated) Halloween Jack-O-Lantern for your desktop.
Why is Mac-O-Lantern?
Because Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year by far. This is the
application I spend most of my time and energy working on year after
year, believe it or not. I consider it my "flagship" app. I'm releasing
this app early because I don't know if my website will be up next
October. I missed halloween last year (2004) beccause my .Mac iDisk
How do I use it?
Double click to launch. Options include animated or non-animated (animated will suck down your CPU), candle or no candle, large or small pumpkin,
animated dock icon, etc. NOTE: The flicker rate and animating the dock
icon will affect how much CPU power Mac-O-Lantern uses.
How do I add/create custom faces?
Please read the "Adding and Creating Custom Faces" document included with Mac-O-Lantern for detailed instructions.
How much does it cost?
Free, of course. Happy Halloween, Mac freaks.
• The preferences window can now be opened when using Mac OS X 10.3
• Minor interface enhancements and performance tweaks (CPU usage dramatically reduced when animating the dock icon).
• Universal binary.
• Option to display days remaining until Halloween on dock icon added.
Version 1.0 (complete rewrite from Jack-O-Mac):
• Changed the name. I never liked Jack-O-Mac.
• Customizable faces, finally.
• Better looking pumpkin (I took a photograph of a real pumpkin).
• No longer a menu item (background application). I'm past my "Menu Items Only" phase now.
• Black pumpkin option to show off the candle light coming through the carved face.
Mac OS X 10.3 or higher
Mac-O-Lantern is 159% Freeware. Mac-O-Lantern may be freely distributed,
as long as no fees are collected for it. You do not have to contact
StimpSoft™ or the author for permission to distribute this application.
Actually, I would prefer it if you just left me alone. Really.
Disclaimer: StimpSoft™ and its "employees" are NOT
responsible for any damage, loss, tooth-decay, sexual dysfunction,
warts, plague of locusts or cat infestation that may occur from using